dinsdag 7 juni 2011

Columbia Micro Lot Project


Ten PM, the last of the illy coffee. Time for a new one, the choice was easy, I only had 1 set of beans left from the Blanche Dael roasters, so I wanted to make sure to drink this one before it loses its spunk!

This coffee is grown in Columbia, it's a micro lot project, this means it is a small portion of land, bought specifically for growing this coffee. I don't know if Blanche Dael actually owns this land or that they get the coffee specifically from the real owner, not really important, because it is about the coffee, not who owns the land.

First impression, the beans.
So I opened the package, once again, Blanche Dael are great roasters, this is evenly roasted and I would estimate a level 3 roasting, which is slowly becoming my favourite. The smell of this bean is quite powerfull, a very strong odor comes out, I am expecting a strong coffee now!

Second impression, the smell of fresh coffee
Like always, I let 2 coffees pass the grinder before actually tasting, this is done to prevent flavour mixing from the Illy and this one. The smell pretty much confirmed my first impression, this appeared to be very strong flavoured coffee. For a medium roasted coffee bean, I am smelling some powerfull aromas, the crema is awesome, taking out my spoon, the crema is very gentle on the spoon, like sugar syrup falling down, the impressions are great so far

Third impression and the surprise!
This is very mild coffee... I am surprised big time, a very strong odor, all the signs so far pointed towards a strong espresso, but I was wrong. It tastes a little earthy, some chocolate in there, but mostly very mild and soft coffee.
I would not completely call it full bodied, it is more a creamy kind of coffee, I love it.
Very little acidity and bitterness in this coffee too, also in the aftertaste. The aftertaste is not clean, I do have a little bitterness in their, but not disturbing, not even the long aftertaste I am getting. A little earthy feel in the aftertaste too, again not disturbing. it is like the aftertaste is divided equally between the 3, being the coffee, the bitterness and the earthiness. A great coffee indeed.

Can I say anything bad about this coffee? Maybe that I only got 250grams :)
Great coffee for those loving milder versions of our devils' drink, I do guess the ristretto drinkers would not approve, it is not strong at all.

Rating: 8,9/10
Purchased: Blanche Dael, Maastricht, Netherlands
Origin: Columbia

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten