woensdag 8 juni 2011

Ecuador Galapagos Malabar Organic


Wow, so just 1 day after ordering from koffiecentrale.nl, we got the TNT delivery guy at work, surprised it didnt even take 24 hours to arrive.
Once again, WOW, delivery in under 24 hours is impressive to say the least.
Unpacking was fun, we got a handful of free goodies like sugarpacks and some awesome tasting Amaretti biscuits, almond flavoured. Non alcoholic biscuits too, really yummy, I may buy a box of these next time, 2 thumbs up for KC for their service, they deserve it.

Now on to the most dificult thing I had to do all day... lol... sounded so serious, but it was really only just picking which coffee to drink first.
We ended up trying the Galapagos one from Mykona.

A little information about the name of this coffee and why it is officially labelled as Ecuador Galapagos, thanks to wikipedia, I found out that the Galapagos islands are actually officially part of Ecuador, despite being a group of islands a little over 1000 km from the shore of Ecuador. The islands have a hot and dry climate, this is mostly due to the Humboldtstream from Antarctica.
This coffee specifically is grown on the "Oro Virgin" farm, the entire plantation is irrigated thanks to water coming from the El Junco crater. All this magic happens on the island of San Cristobal, fifth largest of the Galapagos.
Everyone knows these islands from the famous turtles, protected by law. Because of the overprotection of the turtle and the accompanying ecosystem, the island has a ban on Chemicals, fertilizers and pesticides. This ban was put into effect to help preserve the ecosystem, but obviously also has positive effects on the coffee, as it is grown the most natural way possible.
I have low hopes for this coffee to be honest, simply because of this reason.
Everything we eat or drink, in one way or the other, is processed. I doubt I have ever had a cup of natural coffee and I already confirmed in the past that I am not a big fan of fairtrade products, the ones with a relative possibility of being clean too.
It is also quite exclusive, very limited quantities apply, yet it is not in the price range of the Blue Mountains or the Kopi Luwaks.

So let us get to the actual testing, we opened up the bag, time to smell

First impression, smelling the beans.
Surprisingly strong and surprisingly chocolatey in aroma. You can actually smell the chocolate in it, both my colleagues agreed, the smell was very good! I took another sniff, my hopes went up for the actual tasting, haha!

Second impression, smelling the cup of freshly made espresso.
This was according to expectations, not the best i had smelled, but far from being the worst. What I really noticed... the pure smell of coffee, less of the chocolate. Expectations were still medium, better than the original low ones, I guess! Not so much crema.

Third impression, the tasting.
First thing my colleagues said when they tried it, was that it was a completely different flavour. I heard them give it a nine out of ten points, but I do not follow, I rate it a little lower, around 8,5.
The coffee is very creamy, little bitterness and acidity, a strange sweetness was present. I would be tempted to call it uniquely flavoured, like a mix of mild coffee, fruits and chocolates.
The reason why I am giving lower points than my colleagues is simple, I didnt fully enjoy the aftertaste of my first 2 cups. The first cup left me disappointed when it comes to aftertaste, the coffee itself was good, like a 8 out of 10 good.
But yet, I am rating it at 8,5, right?
This is the first coffee that immediately grew on me, as with each cup I had, it became better.
I rarely get this sensation from coffee, most actually tend to go the other way, making me happy that I finish the pack and can move on. Often I am not enjoying the last few cups, but this one grew on me.

Overall, a very clear tasting coffee with a surprising pallet of flavours, creamy and lovely too!


Rating: 8,5/10
Origin: Ecuador / Galapagos
Ordered online koffiecentrale.nl
Price: 9,90€ for 250 grams

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten