zondag 19 juni 2011

Java Katakan!

A very special coffee to enjoy this sunday evening, my very first 100% Robusta coffee.
Grown on the state-owned plantation PTPN XII, this fine Java robusta is one of few robusta coffees out there, usually they blend Robusta and Arabica together. Robusta tends to be more bitter and strong, so the finer arabica beans are blended in to come to a nice palet of tastes for the enjoyment of coffee drinkers worldwide. I was told this was very powerful and earthy coffee, with wooden influences.

Roasted, I have only found 100% pure robusta on 2 seperate occasions, one time in 2 kilo portions, the other was this Java Katakan. Obviously I would not buy 2 kilos for what might be something i wont enjoy. Robusta is the "cheaper" bean, but this coffee did set me back 7 euro for 250 grams, that is around 20 cents per cup, slightly more expensive than various others, but I didnt really mind, I was curious to try it ever since it arrived!

My expectations... A very strong coffee, slightly bitter and some acidity. This Katakan was roasted at level 4, i think, so my experiences led me to expect a lot of punch in a cup.

First impression, smelling the beans.
This coffee delivered, strong like expected, a little spicy, i would say I am detecting wood too. Not sure if spicy is the right way to describe it, from what I read, i was supposed to be smelling sesame seeds and licorice.

Second impression, smelling the espresso.
A rather pure smell, it was obviously quite strong, pure caffeine, i think. I am a little reluctant to try now. I smelled four or five times, each time taking in the raw power of this coffee.
Time to drink!

Third impression, tasting the espresso.
Ok, this needs to be said, I am not a big fan of black coffee, especially the very strong ones like this. This was no exception, way too strong for me, even with a little milk in it, too strong.
Adding more milk however did do the trick. It's a little earthy still, but I am enjoying the body of this cup, though the excess amount of milk is probably making it too creamy right now.
Down the line, this coffee is way too strong for me, however as a Caffe Latte Macchiato, it is really good.
It makes me wonder if all robusta are this strong, it would be a good test for future purposes if and when I find more of them.
Maybe one day, I will have my own home roaster, robusta is easier to find as green beans and then I can try again.

Rating: 6,5/10
Purchased online
Brand: Blaser Cafe
Traceability: Indonesia Robusta washed Java R/WP PTPN XII
.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten