vrijdag 27 mei 2011

Ranting is an art, so is making coffee.


Time to rant a little, because some things need to be said. I am a coffee snob, I know this, but what most people do not know, I only really started to drink coffee about approximately 5 years ago. We had just moved into our previous house, we got ourselves a Senseo coffee maker, my first step to coffee loving.
While I have some issues with the easy coffee makers, they provide for the easy cup, are generally cheap machines and do the trick for just about most of us. Not for me, but that is another rant, one I will write up later.
At first, all I did, was experiment with the Senseo blends. Some good, some not so good, a few very bad ones, I still occasionaly taste them, when i am visiting friends, not everyone is crazy enough to have a full-automatic espresso machine.
Once I had tried all the blends, I got more creative, buying a few syrups, cinnamon, vanilla, chocolat, ... From Routin and after all that, I went to the internet for more information. Learning a lot about coffee, I also got familiar with some coffee terminology and this is where my rant will start off.

Oh dearest coffeshop owners and baristas...

When I order a cappuccino, please give me a real cappuccino.

A mistake made by too many places, the typical whipped cream on top of a black coffee, sorry peeps, this is actually another coffee, the one called "caffe con panna" or "Franziskaner".
sigh... Same for "Latte", another typical mistake is to just call it a "latte", it is "caffe latte".
Latte is italian for milk, asking for a latte is basically asking for a glass of milk.
Oh and Caffe Latte doesnt have any whipped cream either... just a little milk foam.

A real cappuccino is made up of 3 equal parts.
First of all, the coffee, usually 1 espresso shot.
Secondly, the HOT milk, preferably whole milk too, though half and half milk will add a creamier texture
Third, milk foam

That is a real cappuccino, not the whipped cream solution.
I hate it when those places are boasting about serving great coffee, but can't even get the basics right.


For the record, the coffee in the picture was a home made Franziskaner using Yellow Bourbon beans, hailing from Brazil. One of the softer coffees I have had, a true delight.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten